As I write (29.6.2019) ... last weekend, Shaw Fair, this afternoon Melksham Carnival, next weekend Semington. The busy season. Network Rail have specified a change from Orange to Pink Hi-vis for volunteers and the Melksham Rail User Group is amongst the first to wear these
From 1999 but still relevant in 2019
• To ensure a continued rail service at Melksham
• To increase the train service provided at Melksham
• To encourage train operators to provide connections with other train services such that a wider choice of journey opportunities by rail is available from Melksham
• To improve and enhance the facilities at Melksham station
• To seek improvements to the route between the town and its station
• To support initiatives aimed at increasing the use of the railway for freight and passengers generally, in order to reduce road traffic in west Wiltshire
• To increase local awareness of the advantages of rail travel and greater use of public transport
• To promote integrated public transport in the Melksham area
An update from 2016
• To represent the interests of passengers and other users of Melksham station on railway and government bodies, and to act as the prime conduit for feedback to those organisations, both through direct contact and through the TransWilts CIC
• By membership of the TransWilts CIC, to support the permanent provision of, and expansion to, the rail service at Melksham
• To lead Station Adoption activities at Melksham to facilitate, and where appropriate implement, enhanced amenities, including application for funding where applicable, for such improvements.
• To encourage use of Melksham station by individuals and business users, including promotional events
• To analyse actual and potential Melksham station users travel plans, and hence recommend potential improved connections
• To increase awareness of, and provision of integrated public transport more generally in Melksham and the surrounding area
• To educate users in all safety related issues and regulations
Melksham Summer/Autumn Timetable available in the Town Hall, Library and Tourist Information Centre. Download from www.mrug.org.uk/Summer2019brochure.pdf
Next diary date - MRUG business meeting, 16th October.
Initial data (provisional) for train times from December 2019 – see [[here]]
Report on reduction of station dwell time – three specific ideas for Melksham proposed by the Melksham Rail User Group in reply to request for suggestions from Mark Hopwood on 18th July 2019 for input by 24th July 2019 - [[here]]
Report on summer 2019 promotion - carnivals, and fetes - see [[here]]. Thank you to everyone who's helped - and enjoy your summer trips. Pictures from Imber on 17th August - here
Tribute to class 153 trains - the single carriages which provided the vital stepping stone from no useful service to what we now have, 2013-2018 on the line, now retiring from GWR
New "Great West Way Discover" tickets launched - travel as much as you like on selected routes, two of the tickets include Melksham - great for a Staycation or for visitors to the UK who are staying with you for a while. There are now 10 different rangers and rovers that include Melksham - see [here] for a list including maps and prices.
* Bristol Underground System. Still on the cards?
* WECA Future Mobility Zone
* Harassment on London underground / problem around the world?
* How many stations remain no-go zones for wheelchairs?
* MOVED: November Amendments to First Discover Services
* Helping (?) people in wheelchairs
* Swindon to Esher